Unsurprisingly, the look and feel is very ‘toy-ish’ but don’t be fooled that this translates into a meaningless or substandard product. What we have here is one of three unique models (Blipblox Synth and Blipblox After Dark are the other two incarnations) each designed for different stages of music development.
The SK2 has been redesigned with a new colour palette, signal flow diagram, labelled controls and enhanced synthesis engine. It can run off AA batteries and has a built in speaker so is truly portable, and is made for kids to explore the fundamentals of synthesis and sound design.
Blipblox describes the synth as follows:
SOUND DESIGN TOOLBOX
- Find your groove with over 400 built-in melodies.
- Vibrant LED light show and smart LED animations to help guide synthesis play.
- Choose your soundwave from 16 unique tone generators, including wavetables.
- Sculpt your sound with the multi-mode resonant filter.
- Use the two envelope generators and two LFOs to add evolving and pulsating sonic texture.
- 100+ sampled drum sounds, each with adjustable pitch, including razzmatazz.
- Stereo multi-tap delay adds a spacey effect.
EXPAND YOUR EXPERIENCE
- Add a keyboard, drum machine or DAW using 5-pin MIDI input.
- Go loud or record with 1/4″ Audio Output jack.
- Ships with 3 AA batteries and a universal USB power adapter cable.
- Safety certified for ages 3 and up.
- Durable against the hardest hits and drops.
- Adjustable controls to limit volume and lights for sensitive users.
- International certifications: FCC, CE, ASTM, CPSC 16, EN62115, REACH, RohS and CA Prop 65 for toys.
It’s available now priced at around $200.