Dave Smith Instruments has just shown off the module version of its Prophet 12, which it says “boasts the same power and sound as the Prophet 12 Keyboard.”
The Prophet 12 Module’s streamlined interface allows quick and easy control of every parameter on the synth. Each synth section can be selected at the press of a button with every parameter editable from the crisp OLED display. Easily create modulation assignments using the Assign Mod buttons. Dedicated Low and High Pass Filter potentiometers provide quick and smooth control of the filters.
As you’d expect, an extensive MIDI implementation covers every available parameter on the synth, and it’s ready to use with controllers and DAWs.
It has a rugged steel enclosure so it’s ready to use as a standalone unit, in a rack, or on stage.
Here’s the specification sheet:
- Five DSP-based oscillators per voice (including one sine wave sub oscillator)
- Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
- Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
- Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
- Analog VCAs
- Shape modulation
- Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
- Hard sync on each of the four oscillators
- Five high-quality digital effects. Thicken the signal and add harmonics or completely destroy the signal pre-filter.
- Girth and Air are high and low shelf equalizers with harmonic excitement. Useful for thickening and/or adding air to the signal.
- Hack and Decimate are sample and bit rate reduction algorithms which can add subtle grit or completely destroy the signal. It’s harsh yet musical!
- Drive is a soft saturator for adding soft distortion and harmonic content to the signal
- Famed Curtis 2- or 4-pole resonant analog low-pass filter (self oscillates in 4-pole mode) per voice
- 2-pole resonant analog high-pass filter per voice
Feedback and Delay
- Tuned feedback
- Four-tap syncable multi delay with feedback and amount per delay per voice
- Four Delay + ADSR envelopes (LPF, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Auxiliary envelopes 3 and 4 freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Four syncable LFO’s with phase offset and slew per LFO
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 97 mod destinations
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing
- Sophisticated programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Re-latching arpeggiator
- Independent programmable stereo analog distortion per layer.
- 12 knobs and 34 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Crisp OLED display is easily visible in low light situations and from many angles.
- 396 user and 396 factory programs
- Direct program access using numeric keypad and dedicated User, Factory, and Bank buttons
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your favorite programs.
- Create four play lists with up to forty programs each!
- Prophet 12 Module Signal Flow Diagram
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI out, and 1 MIDI Thru port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 2 expression pedal inputs
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Layer B stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
- External Power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100-240v, 50-60Hz
- Oiled walnut wood end panels
- 16.5″ L x 6.8″ W x 2.85″ H (41.9 cm L x 17.3 cm W x 7.2 cm H)
- 4 lbs. 14 oz. (2.21 kg)