Auto-accompaniment features on electronic keyboards are nothing new, but Roland believes it has stepped up the game a notch with the introduction of its BK-5 Backing Keyboard.
Designed for the one-man gigging keyboardist, or to use to accompany others, the BK-5 includes a powerhouse of authentic sounds, a large range of drum kits, a wide variety of accompaniment styles spanning cultures and musical genres, and the ability to handle MP3, SMF, WAV and Rhythm files for greater creative possibilities.
Key features include:
- Self-contained, do-everything keyboard with auto-accompaniment engine and built-in sound system
- Wide selection of sounds, Music Assistants, and Rhythms that cover a wide landscape of musical genres (including East-Europe, Latin-America, Asia, and more)
- Friendly graphical user interface
- Onboard effects, including reverb, chorus, EQ, multi-band compressor, and dozens of multi-effects
- Music rhythm compatibility with Roland BK-7m/E-series/ G-series/VA-series instruments
- Compatible with backing formats (SMF, MP3, WAV, and Rhythm) directly from USB memory; instant audio recording onto USB memory
- Automatic chord detection for SMF files
- Video output to share SMF/MP3 Lyrics with friends or the audience on an external screen
Read more about the features below.
Roland BK-5 Sound Generator
The BK-5 is powered by a state-of-the-art Roland sound engine, packed with over 1,100 great sounds and dozens of drum and percussion kits. The instrument is able to handle 128 voices simultaneously, and is compatible with a variety of voicing formats, including GM2, GS, and XG Lite. Feed the BK-5 a Standard MIDI File, buckle up, and get ready for a great-sounding band!
Roland BK-5 Creative Control
In addition to playing MIDI Files with its internal sound generator, the BK-5 can also play and manipulate audio files. Play MP3 or WAV files via USB and use the onboard controls to change key signature and tempo to best suit your vocal range or performance style. You can also use the BK-5’s Center Cancel feature to minimize the vocals from pre-existing songs to create instant karaoke-style sing-along tracks.
Roland BK-5 USB Compatibility
To expand the capabilities of the BK-5, a USB port is provided for connecting to industry-standard USB storage devices such as a USB key or self-powered USB hard disk for playing and modifying/ saving files. You can also use the USB port to record your performances as audio files (WAV, 44.1 kHz/16-bit linear format) on a USB storage device.
Roland BK-5 Video Compatibility
The BK-5’s composite video output can be connected to an external monitor, which allows the audience or other musicians onstage to follow the lyrics and chord symbols of the performed song. Turn your show into a multimedia experience!
The Roland BK-5 has a list price of $1,199 and is available now.