Roland has announced an addition to its AIRA Compact line of pocket-sized instruments with the S-1 Tweak Synth micro polysynth, inspired by the SH-101 from the ’80s.
It features Roland’s latest generation of Analog Circuit Behaviour (ACB) technology to deliver the authentic tone and response of the SH-101, and extends it with four-voice polyphony and many innovative features for music creation with a “friendly, uncomplicated” interface.
Tones can be created with oscillator, envelope, filter and LFO sections, adjusting effects with dedicated knobs, as well as providing access to deeper design tools. At the bottom of the panel are 26 multi-function pads providing access to a 2+ octave keyboard range, step sequencer interface, and a wealth of creative options to spark ideas.
Classic SH tones are all there, and can be pushed and reworked with square, saw, sub and noise oscillators, custom waveshape crafting, and features such as OSC Draw and OSC Chop.
The S-1 Tweak also has a 64 step sequencer and 64 patterns, with both live and step recording possible. A D-Motion controller allows for sounds to be altered simply by moving the synth.
Classic effects include choruses from the JUNO and JX-3P synths, plus manual and tempo-synced delays and studio-grade reverb effects.
Full specs are as follows:
- User Patterns: 64
- Step Sequencer: 64 steps
- Effects: DELAY, REVERB, CHORUS
- Display: 7 segments, 4 characters (LED)
- Connectors: SYNC (IN, OUT) jacks: Miniature phone type / MIX (IN, OUT) /PHONES jacks: Stereo miniature phone type / MIDI (IN, OUT) jacks: Stereo miniature phone type / USB port: USB Type-C (Audio, MIDI)
- Power Supply: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery / Obtained via USB port (USB bus power)
- Current Draw: 500mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use: Approx. 4.5 hours * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Expected battery charging time: Approx. 3 hours * To charge the unit, use the USB port of a computer or a commercially available USB power supply adaptor (5 V, 500 mA or higher).
- Accessories: Leaflet ”Read Me First” / USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
Width: 188 mm / 7-7/16 inches
Depth: 106 mm / 4-3/16 inches
Height: 36.2 mm / 1-7/16 inches
Weight (including batteries): 305 g / 11 oz
Available now for $199.99.