Yamaha has updated its MX Series of synths with the introduction of the MX88.
As the name suggests, this is a full-size 88-key instrument featuring weighted keys designed to give a more accurate acoustic piano feel. It uses Yamaha’s tried and true Graded Hammer System (GHS) for a more realistic touch.
The keys feature matte black tops designed to absorb moisture and still remain tactile even after an extended time of playing.
While the weighted feel won’t be for everyone, it’ll appeal to piano aficionados who want to keep the feel of piano keys but have access to a much wider range of sounds, effects and other features than commonly found on standard digital pianos.
Key features of the MX88 include:
- USB audio/MIDI interface
- 1,000+ sounds based on Motif sounds engine – including synthesizer leads, pads and authentic acoustic instruments
- optimised Concert Grand Piano sound
- A full selection of VCM effects
- Easy Split/Layer Performance Mode
- 16-part Multi timbral operation and 128-note polyphony
- Extensive hands-on control for VSTs and DAWs
- A software bundle that includes Steinberg Cubase AI
The MX88 has a suggested retail price of $1,299.