There’s no doubt Roland holds a significant place in the history of synths and other electronic instruments for the past half century and more, and now it has launched an ambitious “Super Instrument” which anyone can use to harness the power of some iconic Roland instruments.
GALAXIAS is a single creative environment letting musicians discover, mix and play sounds from classic synths and drum machines such as JUPITER-8, TR-808, D-50, ZENOLOGY and SYSTEM-8.
Key features include:
- One Super Instrument packed with synths and drum machines from Roland’s long history
- An evolving platform instrument that continually grows with new sounds, features, and more
- Combine, layer, and sequence up to four instruments per instance
- Explore over 20,000 inspiring sounds and dozens of evocative Scenes
- Search by instrument, sound type, Sound Pack, keywords, and more
- Scenes contain all instrument settings plus patterns, effects, and more
- Build Setlists for dynamic live performances with seamless Scene changes
- Drag-and-drop audio or MIDI to your DAW timeline
- Intuitive interface with color coding for easy navigation and creative confidence
- Powerful macro performance controls for maximum expression
- Context-sensitive browser automatically shows what you need
- Tempo sync for effects, sequencers, macro knob LFOs, and more
- Use standalone or as a VST3 or AU plug-in (coming soon) for your favourite DAW
- Number of Layers4
- Main Views
- Key Split Editor
- Macro Control Editor
- CPU: 8th Gen Intel i5 or better / Apple Silicon
- RAM: 8GB (16 GB or more recommended)
- Storage: 8 GB of free space
- OS: Windows 10 / Windows 11 (64bit) / macOS 12+
- Other: To use this software, an Internet connection and user registration/logging in to Roland Backstage are required. Any communication expenses (packet communication fees, etc.) incurred while using this software will be charged to customers. This software might not be available depending on your country or region. User support for this software is available in English only.
GALAXIAS is available to anyone who signs up for a Roland Cloud Ultimate membership, which currently stands at $19.99 per month or $199 per year. Initial comments are likening this offering from Roland to that of Arturia’s Analog Lab. Will we see every manufacturer come out with an official, virtual subscription offering of their historical gear? Is this the musician’s version of video streaming services — which will you pick, if any?